Advertisement
+91 8617752708

Journal of Advances in Medicine and Medical Research, ISSN: 2456-8899, ISSN: 2231-0614 (Past),Vol.: 26, Issue.: 6

Original-research-article

Screening for Obesity during the World Health Day in Ogboloma, a Small Rural Settlement in the Niger Delta Region of Nigeria

 

Oghenekaro Godwin Egbi1* and Dimie Ogoina1

1Niger Delta University Teaching Hospital, Okolobiri, Bayelsa State, Nigeria.

Article Information

Editor(s):

(1) Kate S. Collison, Department of Cell Biology, King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Centre, Saudi Arabia.

Reviewers:

(1) Mra Aye, Melaka Manipal Medical College, Malaysia.

(2) Arthur N. Chuemere, University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria.

(3) Oguz Ozcelik, Fırat University, Turkey.

Complete Peer review History: http://www.sciencedomain.org/review-history/24598

Abstracts

Aims: To determine the prevalence and correlates of generalized and central obesity in a small rural Ijaw community in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. This is essential in the primary prevention of diseases associated with obesity.

Study Design: Place and Duration of Study: The study was cross-sectional in design. Participants were recruited through a consecutive sampling of all eligible participants who presented for a screening exercise during the world health day in April 2012. The study site was Ogboloma, a small rural population in Bayelsa State, Nigeria.

Methodology: Socio-demographic data, clinical history, anthropometry and blood pressures were taken. Confidentiality was maintained. Data were stored and analyzed using SPSS version 20.0.

Results: Generalized obesity was found in 12.2% of participants while 23.7% were overweight. A total of 47(35.9%) individuals either had generalized obesity or were overweight. Central obesity was more prevalent among females across the three different criteria. Waist hip ratio identified more participants as obese (69.5%) compared with waist circumference (51.1%) and waist height ratio (57.3). The predictors of generalized obesity were age and education while central obesity was predicted mainly by gender.

Conclusion: The prevalence of obesity in this rural community was high and compares with recent trends. There is a need for regular screening of communities for obesity so that affected individuals can be managed properly to minimize the risk of attendant complications.

Keywords :

Bayelsa state; central obesity; generalized obesity; ogboloma; world health day.

Full Article - PDF    Page 1-8

DOI : 10.9734/JAMMR/2018/41219

Review History    Comments

Our Contacts

Guest House Road, Street no - 1/6,
Hooghly, West Bengal,
India

+91 8617752708

 

Third Floor, 207 Regent Street
London, W1B 3HH,
UK

+44 20-3031-1429