+91 8617752708

Asian Journal of Economics, Business and Accounting, ISSN: 2456-639X,Vol.: 2, Issue.: 4

Original-research-article

Career Planning Strategies and Skills of Ho Polytechnic Students, Ghana

 

John Tumaku1*, Etornam K. Kunu1 and Mathias Kofi Denu2

1Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Ho Polytechnic, P.O.Box HP 217, Ho, Ghana.

2Department of Logistics and Supply Chain, Ho Polytechnic, P.O.Box HP 217, Ho, Ghana.

Article Information
Editor(s):
(1) Chen Zhan-Ming, Associate Professor, Department of Energy Economics, School of Economics, Renmin University of China, China.
Reviewers:
(1) Emir Hüseyin Özder, Baskent University, Turkey.
(2) Dasie Schulz, University of Phoenix (alumna), United States.
(3) Abubakar Tabiu, Universiti Utara Malaysia, Malaysia.
(4) Fabio Nogueira Pereira, Faculdades Integradas São Pedro, Brasil.
Complete Peer review History: http://www.sciencedomain.org/review-history/18637

Abstracts

This study seeks to examine how important career planning is to students, to determine sources of information use in making future career decisions, determine career planning activities being employed by students and to determine the factors students consider the most in choosing a career. A descriptive, cross-sectional survey was conducted among 350 randomly selected students of Ho Polytechnic. Both descriptive and inferential statistics were computed during the analysis of the data using both SPSS and Microsoft Excel. Results show that 89% of the respondents indicated that career planning is very important to them whiles the rest 11% of them also indicated that career planning is quite important to them. Also, majority of the respondents indicated that the “Media”, “Parent/guardian”, “Mentor”, “Relatives and peers”, and “Lecturers” were the sources of information for their career planning process. Furthermore, it was found that “Undertaking strategic industrial attachment”, “Talking to people in the job”, and “Undertaking industry career research” were the main career planning activities adopted by most students. Finally, it was revealed that respondents were unanimous on “Pay and working conditions”, “Good working environment”, and “Personal skills and interest” as a factors they consider the most in choosing a career with about 92%, 59%, and 79% agreement respectively. Therefore, since career planning is of much importance to students, management should endeavor to develop a curriculum on career planning in all tertiary institution in the country. It is also recommended that the media, parents, mentors, relatives and peers should make available as much information to their wards to help in one’s career plan. Furthermore, management should thus increase the duration of industrial attachment since it provides students with career planning activities.

Keywords :

Career planning; strategies; polytechnic; students.

Full Article - PDF    Page 1-13

DOI : 10.9734/AJEBA/2017/30113

Review History    Comments

Our Contacts

Guest House Road, Street no - 1/6,
Hooghly, West Bengal,
India

+91 8617752708

 

Third Floor, 207 Regent Street
London, W1B 3HH,
UK

+44 20-3031-1429