Quick Menu

Upcoming Journals

Journal of Scientific Research and Reports

Journal of Scientific Research and Reports, ISSN: 2320-0227,Vol.: 12, Issue.: 2


Smoking Prevalence and Knowledge about Its Health Implications among Health Care Professional Students in Ekiti State, South-Western Nigeria


O. A. Akpor1* and F. E. Eweiye1

1Department of Nursing, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Afe Babalola University, PMB 5454, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, Nigeria.


Article Information
(1) Amit Balakrishnan, School of Pharmacy, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA.
(1) Luiz Antonio Del Ciampo, University of São Paulo, Brazil.
(2) Paul Schoenhagen, Imaging Institute and Heart and Vascular Institute, USA.
(3) Serap Argun Baris, Kocaeli University, Turkey.
Complete Peer review History: http://www.sciencedomain.org/review-history/16468




Aims: This study examined smoking prevalence and knowledge about its health implications among health care professional students in Ekiti State, South-Western Nigeria.

Theoretical Framework: The Precede-Proceed Model was the theoretical framework for the study.

Methodology: The research design for the study was quantitative. The sample size was determined using the rule of thumb. Simple random sampling technique was used in choosing the participants and sampling techniques was purposive and convenience. Self-developed questionnaire was the instrument used for data gathering. Data from the study was analyzed using both descriptive and inferential statistics.

Results: The findings revealed that 21.6% of the participants have ever smoked cigarette and the majority (77.3%) smoked daily while 89.7% of the participants indicated that they smoked less than 10 cigarettes stick a day and 6.9% smoked more than 30 sticks daily. One-third (34.4%) of the participants commenced smoking between the age of 18 to 21 years while 27.6% between age 16 to 17 years. Almost half (45.2%) of the participants were introduced to cigarette smoking by their peers. The majority (55.0%) of the participants took their cigarette from friends while 35.0% normally bought from the shops. Almost all (99.1%) of the participants were aware of the health risks that are associated with cigarette smoking, almost all (99.1%) and 81.8% of the participants indicated lung cancer while the remaining 18.2% highlighted cancer of the bladder. Also, 93.6% indicated that there was no tobacco treatment centre in their institution.

Conclusion: The study recommended that Nurses and Midwives should ensure that comprehensive individual and group education is done in the clinics and during school health visits, to increase adolescents’ knowledge regarding the health effect of cigarette smoking.


Keywords :

Knowledge; smoking prevalence; health effects.


Full Article - PDF    Page 1-10    Article Metrics


DOI : 10.9734/JSRR/2016/27946

Review History    Comments

Search this site

Advanced Search

Announcement & News

Nature (Impact Factor: 41.6) confirmed high standard of SDI journal and its editors

We are happy to inform that Nature (Impact Factor: 41.6) confirmed high standard of SDI journal and ...

ISI Thomson Reuters selected British Journal of Pharmaceutical Research for Emerging Sources Citation Index

We are delighted to inform that ISI Thomson Reuters selected British Journal of Pharmaceutical Resea...

SCOPUS selected Annual Research & Review in Biology (ARRB)

We are delighted to inform that famous indexing organization SCOPUS (from Elsevier) selected  A...

Index Copernicus Evaluation Result Released

We are delighted to inform that Index Copernicus (a leading indexing organization from Pol...

Journal Repository (JR): Permanent Digital Archiving of SDI journals

SDI is happy to announce that all our journals are now permanently archived in Journal Repository (J...

SDI journal got 35th ranking in Publons

We are delighted to announce (as of 04/01/2016) that British Journal of Medicine and Medical Re...

Growth of SDI and world publication market

As of 2014, total 25,064 journals are competing in World market of journal publication. In 2011, tot...

Science (IF: 31) report confirmed the high standard of SDI journal

As per a recent report (Link) of Science journal (present Impact factor 31), one of our journal (Bri...

SDI introduced Post-publication peer review by its comment section

SDI journals encourage Post-publication peer review by its comment section   Policy details a...

SDI promotes transparent Advanced OPEN peer review

We have migrated to transparent and toughest ‘Advanced OPEN peer review’ system (...


  • No Awards listed.

Browser Compatibility : Mozila firefox, Google Crome and IE 7 & above. Creative Commons License Terms & Condition   |   Privacy Policy   |   Join Us   |   Help   |   Contact Us
© Copyright 2010-2018, SCIENCEDOMAIN international. All rights reserved.