+91 8617752708

Journal of Advances in Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2394-1111,Vol.: 10, Issue.: 1

Case Study

Iatrogenic Baclofen Neurotoxicity in End Stage Renal Disease: A Case Report and Review of Literature

 

Navaneedha Lingam Mahalingam1 and Rizna Abdul Cader1*

1Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre, Malaysia.

Article Information
Editor(s):
(1) Hamdy A. Sliem, Internal Medicine, Suez Canal University, Egypt and College of Dentistry, Qassim University and EL-Jouf University, Saudi Arabia.
Reviewers:
(1) Rubina Naqvi, SIUT, Karachi, Pakistan.
(2) Thaís Posser, Universidade Federal do Pampa, Brazil.
Complete Peer review History: http://www.sciencedomain.org/review-history/16399

Abstracts

Baclofen is a centrally acting antispasmodic agent that is commonly prescribed to patients suffering from spinal cord problems. Nearly 85% of baclofen is excreted by the kidneys whereas the remaining 15% is metabolized by the liver. In patients with renal insufficiency, baclofen accumulates and causes central nervous system toxicity. Herein we report a case of baclofen induced neurotoxicity in a patient with end stage renal disease on maintenance haemodialysis. The patient had cervical spondylomyopathy and was started on baclofen 10 mg once daily which was subsequently increased to three times a day. Within 48 hours of the increased dose of baclofen, he developed drowsiness, confusion and became aggressive. Other causes of encephalopathy were excluded and baclofen was stopped. His confusion improved completely after three consecutive sessions of haemodialysis. Physicians should be aware of baclofen induced neurotoxicity in patients with renal insufficiency.

Keywords :

Baclofen; end stage renal disease; haemodialysis; neurotoxicity.

Full Article - PDF    Page 1-4

DOI : 10.9734/JAMPS/2016/29261

Review History    Comments

Our Contacts

Guest House Road, Street no - 1/6,
Hooghly, West Bengal,
India

+91 8617752708

 

Third Floor, 207 Regent Street
London, W1B 3HH,
UK

+44 20-3031-1429